nafex - [nafex] persimmon in zone 6, northern utah

  • From: Nutritional Solutions <btnutrition@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [nafex] persimmon in zone 6, northern utah
  • Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2013 13:30:35 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Alexis,
I share your passion for persimmon and grow Rosseyanka and Szukis here in
the northern most tip of Utah.
Both are doing well, just coming into fruiting last season with a sporadic
crop.
My trees are likely 6 yrs old now, about 12' tall, planted mid-way down a
berm that slopes gently to the southwest and is sheltered from wind by
staggered evergreen trees. Logan, UT, is technically hardiness zone 5, but my
location at 4300 ft elevation is considerably is above the valley floor (on
the bench of the Wasatch Mountains). I successfully grow many zone 6 items
(Li, Lang and GA-866 jujubes and Brown Turkey /Hardy Chicago fig, for
example) and have begun an experimental foray into Zone 7 offerings, in sites
judiciously selected for favorable microclimate. Of note: western soil is
highly alkaline, leans toward clay, many rocks. Have been at this site 12
yrs, building soil. I have a biodynamic-permaculture type philosophy (kelp
and liquid fish spraying, ramial mulch, cover crops, guild plantings) which
might contribute to the resilience of my plantings. On .85 acres, we have
over 75 cultivars of rare, heirloom and unusual fruits.

I had tried Nikita's Gift, planted twice and lost twice to winter freeze and
high winds.

Jeanne M. Wallace, PhD (nutrition)

Message: 1Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 11:11:02 -0400From: alexis@conev.orgSubject:
[nafex] Do you grow Rosseyanka or Nikita's GiftTo:
nafex@lists.ibiblio.orgMessage-ID: <51545D86.6070603@conev.org>Content-Type:
text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowedHey Folks,I am growing
Rosseyanka and Nikita's Gift persimmons in VA, and I think they are the most
amazing fruits. I also teach workshops about disease resistant fruits and
fruit propagation. I am trying to figure out the northern limit of Rosseyanka
and Nikita's Gift. If you live in something colder than zone 7 and you grow
these fruits, please tell me where you are and how well they have done for
you.Thanks!Alexis

  • [nafex] persimmon in zone 6, northern utah, Nutritional Solutions, 04/01/2013