nafex - Re: [nafex] Do you grow Rosseyanka or Nikita's Gift

  • From: "Lucky Pittman" <lpittman@murraystate.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Do you grow Rosseyanka or Nikita's Gift
  • Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 14:07:18 -0500

Alexis,
Have had Rosseyanka grafted and growing here since about 1998-2000; I'm
located about 70 mi. NW of Nashville, TN, about 20 miles north of the KY/TN
state line.
Have grafted Nikita's Gift at least 3 times, but have yet to get a
successful 'take' of it - but I'm thinking that the scionwood I've been
receiving - usually from folks farther north than myself - has been
winter-damaged prior to collection, and has been non-viable. Will be trying
it again.

Jerry Lehman has been growing both of the aforementioned selections at his
orchard in Terre Haute, for many years - I don't know that I've ever seen
Jerry indicate that he's had any damage to Rosseyanka, but he's indicated
that most years, NG sustains some winter damage.

Lucky Pittman
Hopkinsville, KY