nafex - Re: [nafex] Do you grow Rosseyanka or Nikita's Gift

  • From: Robert Bruns <r.fred.bruns@gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Do you grow Rosseyanka or Nikita's Gift
  • Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 13:00:46 -0400

I live in Carmel, IN, just north of Indianapolis. My location is
listed as zone 5b, although with global warming it's probably more
like zone 6. I had a Rosseyanka that grew to about 15 feet after
about 6 or 7 years. The last year, it bore lots of fruit, but then it
died from the roots the following spring. I think the rootstock was
D. lotus.

I currently have a small Nikita's Gift on D. virginiae. It has
survived the winter the last two years. Last spring, it had some
damage when it sprouted out in a very warm March and then got frozen
in April. The jury is still out on how it does long-term.

Fred