nafex - Re: [nafex] Smart Net for blueberry protection

  • From: Michael Dossett <phainopepla@yahoo.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Smart Net for blueberry protection
  • Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 14:40:31 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Scott,

I have some experience with this sort of system for protecting blueberries.
We use it here on our research station so that we can still evaluate fruit on
our seedlings in the breeding plots as well as for our replicated yield
trials.  Many growers in this area also use a similar system for small
acreages of blueberries. I would be happy to answer any specific questions
you have.

Generally speaking, we have been very happy with this.  There is a bit of
labor involved in sliding the mesh and clipping the panels together at the
beginning of the season and then taking it down in the fall.  Wrapping the
mesh in black plastic (it can still hang from the poles, this is easy to do
if it is all bunched up to an end or in the middle) will help protect from UV
and lengthen the life of the mesh considerably.  It is essential to take it
down over the winter.  A small amount of ice or a moderate snow fall will
cause you more headaches than the amount of work involved in putting it up
and taking it down each year.  There are some variations on exact design for
bracing posts etc (inside vs. outside).  We prefer to have them inside
because it makes mowing and field maintenance much easier.  If you have a
small tractor or riding mower, it is easy enough to have nails on your end
posts to hang the end curtain up for mowing the alleyways and
accessing the rows under the net during the growing season as need be.  We
have both 10' and 20' panels in different fields.  The 20' is less work for
clipping etc. (half the number of panels for the same area) but will sag more
and give you less height clearence in the alleyways.  I am 6'1 and have to
duck as I walk down the rows in our fields with the 20' panels, whereas this
is not a problem in our other fields that are 10'.

Michael

Michael Dossett
Mission, British Columbia
www.Mdossettphoto.com