nafex - Re: [nafex] cultivars of some lesser used species?

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] cultivars of some lesser used species?
  • Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 00:29:32 -0400

On Mar 25, 2013, at 3:38 PM, Kieran wrote:

> Barry,
> You have left out something rather dear to my heart. Wild black
> cherry, Prunus serotina, makes terrific wine. It crops poorly here on
> the impoverished red and yellow clays of the HIghland Rim, and I miss it
> very much. The trees are here, but even on better soil I think selected
> specimans could make them a commercial crop. I'd like to see wild black
> cherries selected for precocity, dwarfing or dwarfing rootstocks, larger
> fruit, and especially fruit with less bitterness. For wine it doesn't
> matter, it has to have a certain bitterness to it. But I think that a
> little less bitterness might make something that could be eaten with
> less dilution and less sugar.

Mmmm, Prunus serotina. I used to live near some big old trees of it, and I
would gather the fruits off the ground to eat out of hand. Well, to scrape
the flesh off the pits -- it's a tiny cherry with a pit as large as a "bing".
But wow, they were delicious. I didn't mind the bitterness, I thought it
added interest.

Ginda