nafex - Re: [nafex] Potomac pear blight resistance in the south Atlantic region

  • From: Anton Callaway <marillen@earthlink.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Potomac pear blight resistance in the south Atlantic region
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 21:33:01 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Betsy,

I've grown Potomac very close to you. In my previous orchard in Apex, it
produced high-quality pears and showed no blight strikes. It doesn't have
the best growth habit, but one can work around that. I've since moved closer
to Chapel Hill and the squirrels have relentlessly stolen the fruit (usually
indicating good quality). I've still had no blight in Potomac, even through
one epiphytotic. It's not my favorite pear out of a collection of 50 or so,
but it's near the top. Good blight resistance, good quality and decent
production. Some of its offspring show encouraging potential for perry.

It would be a good choice.

Anton
North Carolina, Zone 7b (Hey I have oranges growing outside this winter,
maybe we're Zone 8 now).