nafex - Re: [nafex] Grafting with Kids

  • From: "Idell Weydemeyer" <iwgarden@earthlink.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Grafting with Kids
  • Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 15:42:30 -0800

I taught grafting to several college classes, high school students and
Master Gardner classes and two groups of 5th, 6th and 7th graders.

For the young students, with carful instruction on the safe use of the
knife, and adults to assist, all the students did well. The key was several
ways to cut in the safest manner and how to pass a knife from one person to
another safely. For the 5th- 7th graders there were about 18 student per
each class both times and we grafted close to 70 trees each time. The
college and high school classes did over 100 trees (with classes from 18-28
students) but since they had only about 1.5 hours for each class, it took us
two classes.

I used the plain jackknives that you get at Big 5 sporting goods store (on
special for $10) plus some stiff short kitchen paring knives. We used the
pruners to make the start of the cut on the rootstock, the spread it with
the knife to do a cleft graft. We used a cutting board to make the scion
insert so students could make cuts away from themselves.

The only issue with knives that are not super sharp (so they are safer), is
that they do not completely finish with just a single cut on harder wood
like apple. You have to whittle with 2-4 cuts to get the scion to fit
correctly. On trees that are in the ground, for one class, we used all whip
grafts and saddle grafts since they are easy to do by cutting safely away
from oneself.

Idell Weydemeyer