nafex - [nafex] Does this make any sense?

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jimfruth@charter.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [nafex] Does this make any sense?
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 20:03:20 -0600

A friend of mine sent me this email wondering if any of these methods for storing apples actually works. What do you think?

Jim -Last fall, I picked up an old book in German at a neighbors garage sale. The title "Der Praktische Rathgeber", means: "the practical advice giver" and it was printed in Milwaukee, WI in 1877. It contains info on hundreds of subjects from A to Z for pioneer settlers in the USA. Since my wife always gets baskets of apples from the orchard on her folks farm, I found an article about preserving apples interesting and am sending you my translation of that section to find out whether or not you think those methods were actually successful. Three different methods were given under, "Preserving Apples":
1. Stick the apples in a grain bin.
2. In a vessel with an airtight cover, layer apples in tempered sand, without touching each other. (?what is tempered sand?)
3. Fill a clean tub or wooden vessel, within several inches from the top, with apples. Cover the apples with sprigs of juniper and place some narrow boards over them, close enough so no apples can get between. Crosswise over those boards, place another board with a rock on top of it, to hold everything down. Fill the container with enough clean well water to cover the first layer of boards. These apples stay in this water until the nest spring or later. If apples are taken out a few at a time, take care not to remove all the boards nor reach in the water with your hand, but spear the apple out with a fork.

Does that make any sense?

Jim Fruth
Pequot Lakes, MN