nafex - Re: [nafex] multiple trees in one hole

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] multiple trees in one hole
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 21:13:29 -0500

On Jan 7, 2013, at 9:06 PM, Steven Covacci wrote:
> -I plant the trees in triangles at 2' apart from each other. This will
> mean that larger-trunked species (plums, for instance) may eventually fuse
> at the very base. I feel that all three will function as a single tree -
> none of this competing for nutrients idea, because their roots will fuse in
> time (inosculate). So the 3 cultivars will not compete any more (or less)
> than a tree conceptually subdivided into three parts (the part facing-
> East, West and South)...

I don't think that prevents the different trees from competing. Plants are
very localized, and I see different parts of an oak tree "compete" with each
other. At least in my experience, the tree will kill off parts that don't get
enough sun, and favor the parts that do. I have had to do some drastic
pruning to maintain desirable lower branches (suitable for hanging a swing
from, for example) and keep upper part in check.

Ginda
Eastern MA, zone 6