nafex - Re: [nafex] Pine needle mulch

  • From: Lee Reich <leeareich@gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Pine needle mulch
  • Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 18:52:09 -0500

The best way to acidify the soil for blueberries is with sulfur, a naturally
mined mineral. Quoting from Grow Fruit Naturally:

Test the pH before you plant, and if it’s not in the blueberry- friendly
range of 4 to 5, add sulfur, a naturally occur- ring mineral. In sandy soils,
add 3⁄4 pound of sulfur per 100 square feet for each pH unit the soil is
above 4.5. Use three times this amount of sulfur for heavier soils.
Pelletized sulfur, which resembles small, yellow lentils, is easier to spread
and cheaper than sulfur powder. Mix sulfur in with the soil in the planting
hole when you plant and spread it on top of the soil beyond the plant- ing
hole as far as the expected spread of the roots.

Lee Reich, PhD
Come visit my farmden at http://leereich.blogspot.com/
http://leereich.com/

Books by Lee Reich: