nafex - Re: [nafex] Prince Albert of Prussia scions?

  • From: david liezen <chandos49@hotmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Prince Albert of Prussia scions?
  • Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2012 17:36:59 +0000

Jim,

Aren't you the source of the post a couple months ago asking if anyone had
experience in the upper Midwest (not quite the phrase you used) in husbanding
a list of older European apples?
I recognized Edelborsdorfer, which showed up in a previous reading of The
Book of Apples, (the RHS publication) and looked into it. That precipitated
an inquiry into others, via the excellent paper on recent apple inbreeding
which you mentioned. I wonder if Cummins or the Cornell/Geneva research
people could obtain scion wood of PAvP? I will ask.

BTW, because of your e-mail, I hope to obtain and graft Edelbosrdorfer, Roter
Eiserapfel and Glockenapfel this next season. Red Iron and Bell date back to
1500 or so, and Borsdorf Noble (translated) appears to date back no less than
1175! I play in Renaissance Faires and hope to bring fruit that our ancestors
enjoyed to the masses.
To that end, I already have (by the grace of God) Lady/Christmas/Pomme d'Api
growing out back. Perhaps I can also get Gray (Pomme Grise, before 1600?) and
Wise (Court Pendu Plat, circa 450 AD and contemporary of Lady?)

If Prince Albert of Prussia comes to our shores and I learn of it, you shall
hear from me. Not all the apples I keep date so far back. Other
considerations also apply.
Yours for a fruitful year,

Dave Liezen, Spokane, WA z6