nafex - Re: [nafex] Honeyberries (haskaps; edible blue-honeysuckle) - worth growing Zone 6b/7a?

  • From: Michael Dossett <phainopepla@yahoo.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Honeyberries (haskaps; edible blue-honeysuckle) - worth growing Zone 6b/7a?
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 16:15:01 -0800 (PST)

Maxine's selections are the same species as Berry Blue, Blue Belle, Borealis,
etc., but they come from different parts of the native range.  Maxine's
material comes from the Japanese part of the native range whereas the other
cultivars are derived primarily from Siberian germplasm.

In areas with long, high-chill winters, or areas prone to a mid-winter thaw,
the Siberian material is often not well adapted because it is relatively
lower chill.  Here in the Pacific Northwest, it's chilling requirement is
satisfied by early January or earlier and it decides that it is warm enough
to wake up and start growing despite the fact that high temperatures are in
the 40s.  As a result, they bloom when there are few pollinators available
for them and they really don't do very well.  Sometimes I've seen these types
even wake up in early winter after an early fall cold spell followed by a
return to more seasonal weather.  Maxine's material appears to either have a
higher chilling requirement or have a higher threshold temperature for
resuming growth following chilling.

Michael

Michael Dossett
Mission, British Columbia