nafex - [nafex] 5th Annual Aronia Berry Festival Sept. 15-16 (this weekend)

  • From: "Brungardt, Sam (MPCA)" <sam.brungardt@state.mn.us>
  • Subject: [nafex] 5th Annual Aronia Berry Festival Sept. 15-16 (this weekend)
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 21:34:19 +0000

We can't believe the festival is almost here! Please join us this weekend for
a celebration of aronia and a toast to our community. Check our facebook page
(facebook.com/sawmillhollow) for updates throughout the weekend. Feel free to
post pictures!

5th Annual North American Aronia Berry Festival
Celebrate Aronia Berry Month at the Nation's First Farm

What: The 5th Annual North American Aronia Berry Festival

Where: Sawmill Hollow Family Farm, nestled in the heart of the scenic Loess
Hills of western Iowa just seven miles north of Missouri Valley, recognized
by the Secretary of State as the "Aronia Berry Capital of the United States."

Address: 2159 Kennedy Ave., Missouri Valley, Iowa 51555

When: Saturday and Sunday, September 15-16, 2012, 10:00 AM-8:00 PM

Attractions include: Aronia Berry Recipe Contests,the World's First Aronia
Berry Stomp, Ice Cream Socials, Kids Events, Live Music, Wine Tasting, Aronia
Themed BBQ, Speakers, Demonstrations, Nutrition and Health Events, Aronia
Plants, Aronia Farming/Gardening Workshops, Aronia Berry Harversters, Aronia
Products, Bingo, Antique Farm Equipment, and over 30 Loess Hills Artisans.
Free admission.

You'll find plenty of food, wine tasting, demonstrations, music, artisans,
and speakers throughout the day all weekend, but here are a few specifics:

Saturday, September 15
11:00 Aronia Workshop (Planting, Growing, Harvesting, Healthful Attributes of
the berry)
1:00 Lucile Junk- 88 year old clogger, Bingo
2:00 Bill Menner, USDA Rural Development Director Iowa
3:00 Aronia Workshop
4:00 - 8:00 Aronia BBQ, Live music and Karaoke

Sunday, September 16
11:00 Aronia growing workshop (Planting, Growing, Harvesting, Healthful
Attributes of the berry)
1:00 Jim Hightower, New York best-selling author and syndicated radio host
3:00 Live music by Kelsey Klingensmith (www.kelseysmusic.com)
4:00 Aronia growing workshop
5:00 Bingo
6:00 - 8:00 Aronia BBQ, Music and Karaoke
Please note Artisans, Product Samplings, Aronia Wine Tasting, and will be
continuous throughout the Festival. Special Recipe Contests, Children's
activities, and other culinary events will happen throughout both days at
various times.

Driving Directions:

Omaha/ Council Bluffs /Kansas City: Just 30 miles from Downtown Omaha--head
North Take I-29 to Missouri Valley Exit 75, Merge Right US-30 East, Turn left
onto North 1st Street CR-L 20 continue to follow CR-L-20, take a right onto
L-23, turn left onto Kennedy Ave to all things Aronia!

>From Des Moines/Chicago: I-235 W becomes 80 W, Merge ontoI-680 W via Exit 27
>Toward North Omaha/ Sioux City, Merge onto I-29 North exit 13 B toward Sioux
>City, Take I-29 to Missouri Valley Exit 75, Merge Right US-30 East, Turn
>left onto North 1st Street CR-L 20 continue to follow CR-L-20, take a right
>on to L-23, turn left at Kennedy Ave to all things Aronia!

>From Sioux City Area: Take Interstate 29 South to Exit 89 at Mondamin.
>Travel east on Iowa Highway 127 to Magnolia, then turn right on L-23/Laredo
>Drive. Follow Laredo Drive 2.5 miles toward the bottom of a hill and turn
>right onto Kennedy Avenue.

For more information visit www.sawmillhollow.com or
www.facebook.com/sawmillhollow

  • [nafex] 5th Annual Aronia Berry Festival Sept. 15-16 (this weekend), Brungardt, Sam (MPCA), 09/13/2012