nafex - [nafex] Ripening times

  • From: david.maxwell@dal.ca
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [nafex] Ripening times
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 15:09:19 -0300

I am having a real problem this year trying to determine when to harvest my
apples, and
would appreciate any advice anybody has. We have had an unusually warm and
early spring
this year, and the commercial growers talk about the harvest season being
advanced by "10
to 14 days". OK, what happens if we knock 10-14 days off last year's harvest
time? Works
fine for William's Pride, (harvested Aug. 24; last year was Sept 7). Brown's
Apple likewise
(Sept.12/Sept. 25). But King (which normally ripens mid-October) is falling
off the trees,
tastes ripe, comes away cleanly, and has brown pips now, Sept. 13. Indeed,
most of the
cultivars in my orchard are starting to fall. Is this an indication of
ripeness? Can I use this as
signal that I need to pick? (And if I don't, will I have any fruit left to
pick??)

  • [nafex] Ripening times, david . maxwell, 09/13/2012