nafex - [nafex] Hardy kiwis

  • From: david.maxwell@dal.ca
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [nafex] Hardy kiwis
  • Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2012 13:23:01 -0300

Not knowing anything about kiwis, I planted one at the corner of my porch,
and trained it up
the porch post. It has now become marvellously luxuriant, growing up to the
second storey
and along the railing on the second storey deck, (probably 20 ft. plus). I
now discover that
these things are supposed to be grown like grapes, on trellises, in something
resembling a
Kniffen system. This is not feasible now, (without digging the whole thing
up and moving it).
What would you more knowledgable folk recommend I do in terms of pruning and
training in
future?
Second question: it is laden with fruit, which remains rock-hard. I am in
zone 5b. We are
starting into fall weather, (temps at night falling into single digits
[Centigrade]). When can I
expect it to be ready to pick?
Third question: the concept of planting a male vine for fertilisation seems
to be universal.
Why do people not simply graft a branch of male kiwi onto a female? (I
grafted some male
scion wood onto my female vine last spring, and the grafts took quite
happily, so it is not a
question of incompatibility or anything.)