nafex - Re: [nafex] Planting hardy kiwis

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Planting hardy kiwis
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 13:36:56 -0400

I have kiwis planted very close and it is indeed difficult to sort out who is
who. What I do is do the "sorting" in the winter when I can see where the
leafless vines are coming from, giving each kiwi an exclusive zone on the
trellis. In the summer I just hedge them with hedge trimmers and don't pay
attention to which vine I am pruning (except I do try to butcher my males
right after bloom is over).

In the long run they will fill in any space so the only reason to have
multiple females is to try multiple varieties and/or to get more fruit before
they fill in.

Make sure you have at least 5' of row-feet per plant to make things more
manageable. So the number of kiwis depends on how big the pergola is.

Kiwis grow very fast and I would not put grapes on the same structure. I
have enough problems keeping the kiwis off my grapes the next row over.

Scott