nafex - [nafex] Planting hardy kiwis

  • From: Caren Kirk <quirky@videotron.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [nafex] Planting hardy kiwis
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 17:12:15 -0400

This spring I dug up my male and female A. Kolomikta to extend my deck. They have been doing fine in large pots through the exceptionally hot summer, and now I am ready to re-plant them next to my brand new pergola.

As I am always greedy to have more fruit, I started thinking that maybe it could support more plants. Has anyone tried plating more than one hardy kiwi in the same hole? I was thinking maybe 2 per trellis post (i.e. a male and female in one hole and 2 females in the other).

Do you think there will be problems with one overtaking the other?

I was also contemplating having half of the pergola for kiwi and the other half for a grape vine. Would one be too vigorous at the expense of the other? Is a blue "Concorde" type grape over a wood deck a bad idea?

Caren Kirk
St. Jerome, QC, where my poor fruit trees and shrubs have been sorely neglected this year