nafex - Re: [nafex] Fruit trees' leaves dropped/dying - but green inside; cut just ab...

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Fruit trees' leaves dropped/dying - but green inside; cut just ab...
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 08:00:00 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 8/16/2012 10:29:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
filtertitle@aol.com writes:

> So, he showed me photos: the leaves have almost all dropped off of most
> of these. He says the wood is still green inside. If he digs around the
> trunks and amends with manure, and waters can he do the following to save
> the
> trees: cut off the trunk at a few inches above each graft-union so that
> the trees can focus their energy reserves into a small segment of the
> remaining scion?
> Thank you,
> Steve; NJ

Steve,

First off, I don't have the answer. So I'll speculate.

You also wrote he planted all these fruit trees this spring. There is I
believe the biggest factor. These trees didn't have well established root
systems and this summer's heat and drought wasn't conducive to developing
such. I
suspect the root systems aren't properly established and may be dead, I'd
be surprised if they can be saved.

I believe if they are savable do as you suggested. Take care of the root
system and heavily prune the top, maybe by 50%, to reduce the root's work
load. Keep in mind also that when a small grafted tree comes under great
stress
they tend to abort the graft.

Good luck to your friend. He may be better off, considering years to
fruiting, to abandon the trees and start all over next spring.

Jerry

<684100104-1345103985-cardhu_decombobulator_blackberry.rim.net-1560846649-@b25.c19.bise6.blackberry>
<D0CAD115-16F1-468D-B389-2744460BC42F@leereich.com>
<502CFEB4.2080902@mebtel.net>