nafex - [nafex] Myrtaceae Fruit ID

  • From: Chris Carnevale <c.s.carnevale@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [nafex] Myrtaceae Fruit ID
  • Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 10:31:36 -0400

Hi all,

I can't figure this one out. I picked it off a tree, thinking it was a
strawberry guava, but after bringing it home and looking into it more, I
realize that it's lacking a persistent calyx and the leaves are serrated.
My second thought was that it is a stopper, but I'm not sure of that. The
fruit is about 3/4 inch long and 1/2 inch wide, but doesn't seem to be
totally ripe yet, although other fruits were larger. I believe it's in the
myrtle family, but not sure. Look familiar to anyone? It was found in
Charleston, South Carolina, zone 8b. The shrub/tree was multi-trunked,
about 10 feet tall and had interesting bark texture, similar to a
strawberry guava or crape myrtle. I'm not sure this is edible, but I'm
hoping it is!

I posted a picture to the NAFEX FAcebook group at
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=666202632706&set=o.21070015101&type=1&theater
.

Thanks,

Chris Carnevale
Charleston, SC

  • [nafex] Myrtaceae Fruit ID, Chris Carnevale, 08/13/2012