nafex - Re: [nafex] Diospyros lotus

  • From: Mark Lee <mark.lee.phd@gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Diospyros lotus
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 07:35:00 -0700

Matt,
I had a sample of this fruit a few years ago when I found the tree in
the local arboretum. The tree was gone the last time I looked for it.
The fruit was soft, brown and sweet, like a fresh date. I see how it
got it's name. I had forgotten that I had found this fruit, and I know
I kept the seed to grow. Thinking back, I am pretty sure now that my
second seedling came from that batch of seeds. The tree didn't change
sex.

Here is some information I grabbed off the internet:
The date plum is a close relative to the persimon. However, the date
plum is a smaller fruit, as it is about 0.75 in (2 cm) wide. It is a
globose yellow fruit that turns purple-brown when fully ripe. Like the
persimon, the date plum looses its astringency when fully ripe. The
flesh is then very soft and rich in flavour.

-Mark Lee, Seattle