nafex - Re: [nafex] Carmine Jewel question

  • From: Sarah Kehler Ewing <skkewing@yahoo.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Carmine Jewel question
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 12:04:37 -0700 (PDT)

I wouldn't describe the Carmine Jewel as sour!  The nankings may taste a hair
sweeter probably because they are lower in acid to begin with... those U of S
cherries have very high brix measurements, but they can taste tart due to
their high acid content when they are not fully and completely ripe.  Make
sure you are not picking CJ the minute it turns red (they are very sour at
that point!), they need to sit on the tree for a while (weeks) longer and
turn a dark red before they reach their full sweetness for eating out of
hand.  The same goes for all the rest of the U of S cherries and for Evan's
cherries: they all turn red a lot sooner than I want to eat them!  We love
eating them right off the tree

That said, even if you feel your CJ is too sour even when fully ripe, I
wouldn't yank it out in favour of growing only nankings.  I find that the
nankings taste a lot like chokecherries when processed into jam/jelly/syrup
whereas the U of S and Evan's cherries taste like real cherries when
processed.  I also like to include some real, high quality almond extract in
my processed cherry products and the feedback I'm getting says that the
extract makes the finished products taste better than the stuff made without
the extract.  I've never put the extract in my nanking stuff so maybe that
would help bump their taste a bit more into the cherry realm.

Sarah
zone 3 Edmonton, AB