nafex - [nafex] Pale leaves in sun??

  • From: Jay Cutts <orders@cuttsreviews.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] Pale leaves in sun??
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 17:20:59 -0600

Does anyone have any ideas on why the leaves of a tree would become paler in the sun than they are in the shade?

I have two small pawpaw's. One is under shade cloth and gets no direct sun. It has dark green leaves. The other is not covered and gets full sun about half the day. It has very pale leaves. I've seen this a number of times with pawpaws. In the shade the leaves are dark green. In the sun, they are pale.

We're in New Mexico at about 5500 feet.

For a while I was treating the pale plant as chlorotic (which is how it looks) and applying iron as a foliar spray and poured on the ground around the roots. This didn't help at all. Then I realized that there might be a different cause.

Normally, I'd expect a plant in the shade to be paler than one in the sun.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Jay

Jay Cutts
Director, Cutts Graduate Reviews
Lead Author, Barron's MCAT Prep Book
Lead Author, Barron's LSAT Prep Book (2013)
(505) 281-0684
10 am to 10 pm Mountain Time, 7 days