nafex - [nafex] Apple pest (part one)

  • From: Steve <sdw12986@aol.com>
  • To: NAFEx <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [nafex] Apple pest (part one)
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 23:43:17 -0400

I have decided to split this question into two parts. It's part two that has prompted me to write.
Something I've wondered about for a long time. Every spring, when my apples have just started to develop, a few to quite a few get attacked by a pest that I feel may be simply apple maggots. I'll find a little track just under the skin that leaves a curved trail perhaps half way around the apple. These always drop by the time they are the size of a dime. I don't loose enough apples to this pest to worry about it.
Later in the season, I hang red sticky balls in my trees. I watch for the presence apple maggot flies. If I catch very many, I simply spray with Carbaryl, usually a couple of times, and I rarely pick an apple with any maggot damage.
So the question: Is there a real early attack of apple maggot that starts not much more that a week after petal fall or is this some other pest? [see below before you jump in with an answer!]

Steve in the Adirondacks

PS Today I looked through Google Images (searching for apple maggot with various other words). Every picture found shows the typical damage in a larger apple and no pictures show what I find in the spring.

Hold on... oh brother. I typed all that and got a different idea about search words. Here's a picture that looks exactly like my damage:
http://www.wvu.edu/~agexten/orchardmon/pest_descriptions/pest_images/ph1-35c.JPG
I seems I have European apple sawfly.