nafex - Re: [nafex] Rooting Mulberry cuttings?

  • From: "Lucky Pittman" <lpittman@murraystate.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Rooting Mulberry cuttings?
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2012 11:17:15 -0500

Dr. Parmar,
I'd be interested in hearing your procedure for rooting mulberries. As
close relatives of the fig, I always figured they would be fairly easy to
root - but I've had dismal success attempting to root mulberry cuttings,
whether using dormant-season cuttings or mid-summer greenwood.

Have seen references to 'truncheons' of 'milky-sap' trees, the diameter of a
man's arm, rooting readily when sunk into the ground - any thoughts on this
procedure?
I intend to try it with some Morus rubra and Maclura pomifera thisfall, to
get a 'head start' on some sizeable, fast-growing trees to produce shade in
some of my pastures for cattle. (The Maclura would be top-worked to Cudrania
tricuspidata, once established - if this works.)

Incidentally there are male 'fruitless' cultivars of M.alba that are
available in the nursery trade here in the USA - mainly weeping selections,
like 'Chapparal', for homeowners who want that pristine, sterile home
environment, free of any fruits or insects that may be drawn to
unharvested/uneaten fruit residue.

Lucky Pittman
Hopkinsville, KY