nafex - Re: [nafex] Do not plant blackberries next to raspberries?

  • From: Douglas Hinds <cedecor@gmx.net>
  • Cc: Road's End Farm <organic87@frontiernet.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Do not plant blackberries next to raspberries?
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 09:25:22 -0500

On 5/22/2012 9:24 AM, Road's End Farm wrote:
Wild black raspberries in this area carry a virus that will gradually,
over several years, render red raspberry and blackberry plantings
useless. ... If it is present, I don't know how far it travels; though I'm
fairly sure it's more than twenty feet.

Virii don't travel on their own accord. The distance depends on the vectors, so you need to know which organisms are transporting the virus and how far they can move.

Douglas Hinds