nafex - Re: [nafex] CAR apple

  • From: sherwin <sherwindu@att.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] CAR apple
  • Date: Tue, 08 May 2012 10:12:17 -0500

I should not trust my memory. The trees I had were Eastern Red Cedars. These are
in the family Juniperus virginiana and are subject to the CAR problem. Sorry for any
confusion.

Sherwin Dubren

I have to disagree with Lee. In my own experience, I had two
White Cedars (Juniper Family) just a few feet from
my apple trees and this caused a big CAR problem. After removing
these Cedars, the problem went away. I live
in the midst of a heavy urban community, so Junipers must be
present somewhere. I think the benefit of
removing nearby Junipers will vary, depending on the proximity of
the next closest trees. It is possible that
even a close by neighbor's trees would not be a problem, as my
next door neighbor has one. His being South
of me may be a factor as most of our winds come out of the North
or Northwest.

Sherwin Dubren