nafex - Re: [nafex] CAR apple

  • From: Lee Reich <leeareich@gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] CAR apple
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 17:09:25 -0400

CAR spores travel far so removing cedar trees is of limited use. Quoting from
my NEW book, Grow Fruit Naturally,

"Cedar-apple rust disease produces orange spots on leaves and fruits. Because
cedar-apple rust needs both cedar and apple trees to complete its life cycle,
the disease is especially prevalent in humid regions where wild cedars
(Juniperus spp.) abound, such as much of the eastern United States and
Canada. Susceptible cedars, wild and cultivated, include Juniperus chinensis,
J.pinchotii, J. silicicola, J. utahensis, and many varieties of J. communis,
J. virginiana, and J. scopulorum. Disease spores travel for miles in the air,
so removal of cedar trees may not be a practical means of disease control.
Instead, prune for good air circulation and plant resistant varieties such as
‘McIntosh’ and ‘Liberty’, or else spray. Copper or sulfur fungicides give
reasonable controls and Surround offers suppression, but all must be applied
early, as leaf buds are opening and before you see any infections. Infections
occur only early in the season, and there is no further spread of new
infections from old infections."

With my apple variety descriptions, I also list a number of other varieties
that are CAR resistant.

Lee

Lee Reich, PhD
Come visit my farmden at http://leereich.blogspot.com/