nafex - Re: [nafex] Sulphur spray

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Sulphur spray
  • Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 08:39:53 -0400

Caren, I would respray that one, maybe waiting a week or so since it did have
some effect and you can thus cover a longer period. It does help to have a
disease spray on before a rain since rain will produce new spores which will
wake up in a very unwelcome environment. The standard saying is to use
sulphur before a rain and lime-sulphur after; the l/s penetrates the leaf
surface a bit and can get any freshly growing fungi. When you spray sulphur
(not lime sulphur) use a sticker, you can keep much of it on through a light
rain. I use nufilm-17 with every sulphur spray I do.

I don't know why it states not to spray sulphur on apricots - maybe some
varieties are susceptible. I was not spraying sulphur on my cots until a few
years ago when I heard others were using it, and since then I have laid on
the sulphur and not noticed any problems. I have over a dozen varieties so
if there are any susceptible varieties it is not that common. One guess I
had was some apricots are highly prone to brown rot shoot blight and perhaps
someone mistakenly thought that was caused by the sulphur. I did notice a
bit of leaf browning on hot days so that could be another potential reason;
it was so minor that it was almost not noticeable. Sulphur is very useful
for preventing peach scab on apricots, it is a big problem on Puget Gold and
a few other varieties. So it is probably OK to use.

Scott