nafex - Re: [nafex] Another "bag" for bagging fruit

  • From: sherwin <sherwindu@att.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Another "bag" for bagging fruit
  • Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 16:56:48 -0600

On 2/25/2012 10:28 AM, Naomi Counides wrote:
I have tried the fruit footies. On apples in Idaho they are ineffective.
The codding moths get right through them.
Naomi

I agree with Naomi on the footies for the following reasons:

1) Like her, I found the Apple Maggots and Codling Moths go right through them.

2) Covering the nylon mesh with Surround, ugh, what a mess.

3) Nylon bags get soggy after a rain and look awful.

4) The nylon breaks down in the sunlight and loses integrity.

5) The nylon bags are not transparent, so fruit like apples do not
develop coloring.

I will stick with zip lock bags. They are cheap and a throw away item.
They offer some protection when the fruit is stored in a self-defrosting
frig. They seem to deter/delay attacks from critters both when on the
try and on the ground. They will collect rain water, so a couple of drain
slits are needed.

Sherwin Dubren