nafex - Re: [nafex] Another "bag" for bagging fruit

  • From: Dan Nave <nave1@comcast.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Another "bag" for bagging fruit
  • Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 11:25:35 -0600

I don't have direct experience with this but if you follow the urls they mention that "Surround" impregnated footies protect against codding moths. Check out this url for the comments and directions on how to do it.

<http://www.homeorchardsociety.org/article/50>

"I experimented with Surround® saturated nylon footies on apple fruits. Those apples with Surround® soaked footies were pest free, those with plain footies had codling moth but no apple maggot, those apple fruits with no protection had both codling moth and apple maggot (100%). The Surround protected fruits seemed to be free of earwig damage, unlike the other test fruits. The year before I had experimented with other nylon footie combinations, but I was unable to control the codling moth infestation until I tried the Kaolin treatment."

(Note that Surround is Kaolin clay which is non toxic. Some people actually eat Kaolin for digestive health...)

Sounds like a little bit of messing around to soak and dry the footies with Surround, but nothing compared to actually bagging the fruit...

Dan