nafex - [nafex ibiblio list] Collecting scionwood

  • From: Elizabeth Hilborn <ehilborn@mebtel.net>
  • Subject: [nafex ibiblio list] Collecting scionwood
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2012 14:00:24 -0500

I would like to collect apple and persimmon scionwood but had a couple of questions.

This year has been a warm one. Can I wait until later in the month to collect (before buds swell), or will warm weather in general make the scions less useful for grafting? Normally, we have 2 months of cold and it is not an issue, but this year we have prunus blooming and daffodils emerging in December- at least 6 weeks earlier than typical.

Do I give preference to collecting scionwood in the lower portions of the plant, the so-called zone of juvenility, or does it matter?

Thanks for any insight on this!

Betsy Hilborn
7a NC