nafex - Re: [nafex ibiblio list] Eleagnus umbellata, Autumn Olive - interested in sources for seedlings of this plant

  • From: Evan <kodama@riseup.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex ibiblio list] Eleagnus umbellata, Autumn Olive - interested in sources for seedlings of this plant
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2012 10:36:28 -0500

Lawrence,

Chances are good that plants are well distributed in the piedmont. I've seen
high concentrations of them on roadsides in Chatham County for example.
Autumn olive can be propagated by hardwood cuttings, so if you find a plant
you may be able to take a few cuttings to root and later set out. The ripe
growth of A.O. takes on a rusty shimmer spotted with silver this time of
year, the ground beneath them is littered with silvery leaves, and they often
bear thorns.

cheers,
Evan