nafex - Re: [NAFEX] potting up pawpaws

  • From: Matt Demmon <mdemmon@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] potting up pawpaws
  • Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2011 19:55:05 -0400

My only tip relates to overwintering them. If they are in pots, put
them somewhere that stays between 30-45 degrees all winter, like a
basement, root cellar, or slightly heated garage. Off all the plants
I've grown in pots, they react the worst to having their roots frozen
solid above ground. I've had 100% kill overwintering in pots, unless I
put them in my basement. They won't leaf out until they get some
sunshine and serious warmth, and they stay nice down there all winter.
Some species don't seem to mind being in pots over winter, but in
addition to paw paw, I've had honey locust, osage orange, persimmon,
and chestnut all have serious mortality. Root hardiness is apparently
not related to above-ground hardiness.

-matt
z5 se MI