nafex - [NAFEX] potting up pawpaws

  • From: Evan <kodama@riseup.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] potting up pawpaws
  • Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2011 14:17:21 -0400

I recently received some grafted Paw-Paw's in the mail and was hoping they'd
be large enough to transplant straight to a sunny spot in the field, but
they're not ready for prime time yet. So I'm looking for suggestions
regarding potting up paw paws to grow out until large enough to set into a
permanent location. I understand paw paws are difficult to transplant, and
I've already failed once before in potting up paw-paws and having them live,
though that was more due to my neglect than anything with the transplant.

I'm thinking of potting them up in 3 gallon pots with my usual homemade
potting mix, which consists of peat/perlite/vermiculite in usual proportions
and just a smallest helping of of bone meal, seaweed, an an all purpose
organic fertilizer (5-5-5).

What are your experiences?

Many thanks,
Evan