nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Edible Acorns

  • From: "Dr. Lucky Pittman" <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Edible Acorns
  • Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 08:59:53 -0500

The young bur oaks in my yard produced their typical good crop of acorns -
though, perhaps a little less than last year's crop. Have not really
gathered any to look for weevil damage.
Floating in 120 degree water for about 20 minutes should kill a significant
percentage of cryptic(unemerged) weevils, and some(perhaps many?)
weevil-damaged acorns will still germinate and grow well. If there are
plenty of acorns, I don't usually bother with them, but if they're from a
species or selection that's in short supply, I don't necessarily discard
them (for use as seednuts) just because of a weevil hole(which indicates
that the weevil larva has already exited the acorn/nut).

Lucky