nafex - [NAFEX] Edible Acorns

  • From: Steven Covacci <filtertitle@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Edible Acorns
  • Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2011 12:15:33 -0400 (EDT)

Group:
What are the most edible (least astringent) species of native acorns (Quercus
spp.)?
So far, I hear that burr oak: Quercus macrocarpa (such as cv. 'Ashworth', in
particularly) is the best, or among the best; and that swamp white oak (Q.
bicolor) is pretty good - although one report seems to indicate that this is
variable, year-to-year.
So, maybe some of you have compared burr oak and swamp white oak?

I've tasted an oak at Jerry Lehman's orchard - forgot the species, maybe bur
aok - and it was pretty good, although others seemed to detect astringency;
then again, I was eating the not-yet-ripe persimmons without any problem...

Steve; NJ USDA 6b/7a