nafex - [NAFEX] Vinegar making.

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jimfruth@charter.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Vinegar making.
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 10:33:38 -0500

Maria wrote: Jim, what kind of ph meter do you use-- is it the ph paper strips? I've seen pH meters used for cheesemaking that were very accurate but also very expensive. And what pH level do you aim for with your vinegar?

I use a Hanna hand-held model that costs around $50 to $75. It is frustrating to use because it needs constant re-calibration (expensive models need recalibration too). I bought it from Amazon.com.
And what pH do I shoot for? That depends upon the fruit, how much sugar is added and how much water is needed to dissolve the sugar. Unlike apples, most fruits don't yield enough juice to make vinegar without additions of sugar and water. In order to be legal, the pH needs to be lower than 4.6. Of the fruits I have worked with, my pH's have run between 2.4 and 3.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Fruit Farm
4002 Davis Street
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
1-218-831-7018 (My Cell)

  • [NAFEX] Vinegar making., Jim Fruth, 09/27/2011