nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Anyone do a multi-graft fig shrub-tree?

  • From: Louis Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Anyone do a multi-graft fig shrub-tree?
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2011 08:06:51 -0500

No.
Invariably, even with the 'most cold-hardy' fig variety you may be able to
grow, even that is going to freeze to the ground on a fairly regular basis
unless you're going to some fairly significant efforts to protect - like a
'fig house', etc.
And, even if your cold-hardy framework can withstand the zone 6 winter, the
more tender varieties you might have grafted on will likely be frozen off
almost on a yearly basis - again, unless you're going to some length to
provide protection.

At least with figs 'on their own roots', if they get frozen back to ground
level, they can re-grow from the roots.

Lucky