nafex - Re: [NAFEX] woodchips

  • From: Matt Demmon <mdemmon@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] woodchips
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 06:20:57 -0400

My experience supports this as well. I use 6 inch deep 3 foot wide rings of
fresh wood chip mulch from arborists around newly planted trees. The ones
that I don't have time to get to don't do quite as well. I think any
(probably slight) nitrogen loss is greatly offset by the increased moisture
and decreased competition from grass. I imagine the increase in organic
matter has long-term benefits as well.

And woodchips incorporated into soil in the veggie garden definitely suck
nitrogen and can ruin a tomato crop. Experiment to get mushrooms going in
the garden failed in several ways, but that was one of them. Severely
stunted tomato plants.

-matt
z5 se MI