nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Powdery mildew on Constort black currants

  • From: mIEKAL aND <qazingulaza@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Powdery mildew on Constort black currants
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 21:11:17 -0500

Richard, thanks for your thoughtful reply. I apparently didn't do my
homework well enough before putting the Consort in. When I asked the
person at Krieger where I got them, if there were any disease issues
with Consort she told me they chose Consort because it was disease
resistant. At this point I'm guessing she was referring to pine
blister rust & glossing over other issues with it.

I have put in a big patch of Titania, the plants were hard to come by
& cost a fortune compared to what I paid for the Consort. Everything
I've read suggests that Titania is very resistant to powdery mildew,
precocious, fast bearing.

I also am putting a smaller patch of Ben Sarek in. Dale Secher at
Carandale Farms who put in test plantings of a lot of the Ben series
swears by Ben Lomand, but I have yet to source those.

I'm growing fruit for primarily wine production, & in the case of
Black Currant, a melomel. The black currants pair nicely with the
honey. Which is to say I'm less concerned with out of hand eating &
much more a having a wide range of flavors to work with when putting
recipes together.

Since I have so many afflicted plants I may try a half & half
experiment, milk spray on half, stylet oil on the other half. There
is also a bunch of work that I can do to increase air flow thru the
site, so that's my primary focus.

~mIEKAL

eating half ripe Meteor cherries today because the birds will make
them disappear in a few days, handfuls of serviceberries & other
handfuls of Russian mulberries