nafex - [NAFEX] unknown fruit like big goumi

  • From: "Idell Weydemeyer" <iwgarden@earthlink.net>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] unknown fruit like big goumi
  • Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 10:04:15 -0700

Hi,

Maybe someone can tell me what this fruit is---

It is like a large goumi-- This fruit is 1.25 inches long (my regular goumi
is 3/8" long), about 3/4+ inch wide, a medium orange color and sweetish
without the slightly astringent aftertaste of goumis. it is ripe now, the
same time as my goumis. The seed is about 3/4 inch long with fluted sides.
The leaves are about 4 times larger than the regular goumi, soft, and have
very little brown on the underside..

I grafted this on one of my two goumis several years ago, forgot it, move
my one remaining goumi (when the other goumi died) and nearly cut this
branch off since it was in the path. The person I got it from gave me a name
but the description does not fit at all.
So what is this good fruit????

Idell