nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Illinois Everbearing Mulberry

  • From: Richard D Hansen <rdhans01@louisville.edu>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Illinois Everbearing Mulberry
  • Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 23:10:24 -0400

Hi Jerry,

This was simply a cutting taken in early march of approximately 3-4
feet of the previous years growth. NOTHING special was done other than
simply burying all except about 10 inches (I think) and allowing it to
root all summer long. The following spring, I moved it to its permanent
location and it has done great ever since. The first year it did not
grow much, I am assuming it was putting all the energy into roots. I am
sure the process could have been sped up with rooting powder. This was
my first time trying this and I was amazed at how well it worked. I did
find a paper that tried rooting softwood cuttings of IE and they did
this with success. If anyone would like a copy of that pdf, just e-mail
me privately and I will send it to you.

Richard