nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pawpaw shadecloth

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pawpaw shadecloth
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 07:51:46 EDT

In a message dated 5/24/2011 3:45:50 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
unschooler@lrec.org writes:

> I'm going to order some shade cloth for some pawpaw seedlings in my
> nursery yard (as well as some other potted plants) and wondered what the
> ideal %
> shading might be for them. I'll probably order from Grower's Supply,
> where I have choices from 30% shading up to 90% shading. Does anyone have
> suggestions based on research (or, lacking that, experience)?

Hi Leslie,

I'm unaware of any research to determine what percentage of shade is best.
That could also vary from seedling to seedling.

I can tell you what works well for me. I plant the seed where the tree is
to be located. As soon as the seedling loop appears I place a 2 foot Tubex
tube shelter over (around) it held in position by a wooden stake. If the
seedling grows out of it the first year it is past the UV sensitivity stage
and
will survive but the Tubex is left on the keep from sun burning the leaves
that were shaded. I generally also shade seedlings under 12 inches the
second year and leave it on the rest of the summer. May not be needed the
second
year, but continue as a safety precaution. I provide no shade after that.

Jerry