nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Butternut/White Walnut - disease issues.

  • From: Dan Nave <nave1@comcast.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Butternut/White Walnut - disease issues.
  • Date: Sun, 01 May 2011 14:00:15 -0500

What is a "budsport?"

Dan

On 5/1/2011 6:15 AM, Louis Pittman wrote:
What Matt said - I've heard the same line, that 'no resistant pure
butternuts exist' from experts/researchers in TN/MO/IN.
As to the hybrids, the future is already here; there are several 'butternut'
clones which have been propagated in the nursery trade for decades, which
have been shown by DNA analysis to be hybrids with Japanese walnut&/or its
budsport the heartnut - and appear to be resistant to the butternut canker
disease. Bountiful and Kenworthy are two that come to mind, but there are
others as well.

Lucky