nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Crab vs. Standard apple trees?

  • From: david liezen <chandos49@hotmail.com>
  • To: Nat'l Ass'n of Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Crab vs. Standard apple trees?
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 21:38:40 +0000

Richard,
>From the volume of volumes and websites I've read in the past three years,
>and seen in orchards and back yards, crabs are smaller apples - generally an
>inch and a half or less in diameter. No doubt someone has defined it in
>print somewhere. Reading the info at Greenmantle Nursery describing the
>crabs and other apples developed by the late great Mr. Etter will give you
>an excellent example.
Crabs are not simply spitters - too sour or bitter for eating out of hand -
as I had once thought. Some are reputed to be good eaten in hand. Many cider
apples are larger and ill-suited to anything but squeezing for cider, due to
sour or bitter constituents that add valuable elements to finished cider, and
that would taste to me like the crabapples I tried as a kid.
As to thorns, from my understanding, that is a genetic trait found in some
apples, and most hawthorns (hence their name) and other related genera such
as service berries.
When growing out apples from seed, all kinds of latent things can show.
What fun to try and observe the result. Enjoy,
Dave Liezen