nafex - [NAFEX] Crab vs. Standard apple trees?

  • From: Richard MURPHY <murphman108@msn.com>
  • To: nafex <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Crab vs. Standard apple trees?
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 21:16:34 +0000

I have a stupid question (yes, add it to my pile)

What is the Botanical difference between a Crab apple and a 'standard' apple?

Do all young apple trees have those little spikey looking branches?
Does that only happen to seedling trees?
Is there a book or a paper describing these physical traits, if any actually
exist?
I've been growing apple seedlings for about 4 years now, with a lot of
variation.
Mostly for use as rootstocks and experiments.
This year I planted 9 Jonafree seeds and 9 Hidden Rose seeds just for ha-has.
The other little seedling from last years planting are 'Rte. 2 Crabs' from
Farmington, ME
They are really small.

PS Jonafree appears to take longer to break dormancy than my Braeburb and
Wolf River.
Possibly a good tree for late-frost threats, like my z4 place.

Murph

R A Murphy Jr