nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Looking for recommendation for CORNELIAN CHERRY (Cornus mas), and/or scionwood or nursery source.

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Looking for recommendation for CORNELIAN CHERRY (Cornus mas), and/or scionwood or nursery source.
  • Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 17:33:40 -0400

On Apr 1, 2011, at 3:09 AM, Steven Covacci wrote:

> Group:
>

> CORNELIAN CHERRY [C. mas] -
>

> I'm looking for a recommendation for a cultivar (selected for edibility)
> for cornelian cherry dogwood (Cornus mas); and perhaps scionwood or a
> nursery that carries the cultivar.

I have three C. mas, Jolico, Elegant, and something else whose name tag is
currently buried in the snow. One of these (not Jolico) has fruited. I
thought it was delicious. It was tasty but extremely sour when red and firm,
and sweeter and less sour and more richly flavored when it got soft.

It took several years for the trees to fruit, and the one that finally did
fruit two years ago decided not to this year. I think one of the others had
female flowers last year, and might even have set a fruit or two, but if it
did it dropped them early in the season. So in my experience, this crop
takes a lot of patience.

Mine are growing in the shade, though, so perhaps you'd get fruit faster in
the sun.

Ginda
Eastern MA, zone 6