nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pear rootstock availability?

  • From: "Kieran &/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pear rootstock availability?
  • Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 10:18:31 -0500

Bradford pears are calleryana, if you can find some cheap they would do, or go dig some where they have come up from the ornamental seeds. Calleryana makes a taproot and doesn't like to lose it, so don't tackle a plant too big unless you are willing to either dig to China or put up with reduced growth for a year or two. I could go around town and collect as many rootstocks as you want, so I'm sure you can too. Even now, with them leafed out, you'll be cutting the top right off to graft so don't have to worry too much about the time of year. Donna, Cookeville TN

  • Re: [NAFEX] Pear rootstock availability?, Kieran &/or Donna, 04/01/2011