nafex - [NAFEX] Native (Central) Minnesota Fruits

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jimfruth@charter.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Native (Central) Minnesota Fruits
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 10:26:35 -0600

Spidra asked, "How far of a geographical range are you including? My list for the Pasadena area was small because I only included plants I figured were native to about a 25 mi range of here."

Sorry, I didn't know there were rules. For native fruits that I know for sure where they grow within 25 miles of my home, I trimmed eleven off my list - my amended list, below; plus I forgot to add Sumac, a fruit that we process into syrup. I could add a few to that, such as Juniper Berries that are used in making gin and a few others that only a starving person might eat (unappetizing taste). Then there are the two Tanis Cuff added: White Oak grows here but I didn't know its acorns were edible (are they?) and Hickory (local folks call them Pig Nut Hickory) again not something I'd consider edible. I suppose I should strike Mountain Ash off the list too because we made jelly out of it and the jelly tasted like the taste you get when you chew on a wooden pencil.

Jim Fruth

Red Raspberry
Black Raspberry
Gooseberry