nafex - [NAFEX] pawpaw distress

  • From: Martha Davis <martha_davis@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] pawpaw distress
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 18:37:41 -0700

In addition to possible microbiological causes of pawpaw distress there is
also the possibility of having slightly grated the seeds if the pulp was
extracted via food mill. I've heard several stories from I forget which
NAFEX member about various members of his family getting sick on pawpaw
bread when he had been overly enthused about every last bit with a food
mill. The person who didn't eat any was fine and the rest of the family was
sicker depending on how much bread they ate. He still eats pawpaw bread
but is more careful separating the pulp from the seeds. Pawpaw seeds are
toxic. I think the method used by Kurt Pomper at Kentucky is to wring peeled
fruit in a lingerie bag which is a very coarse net. No chance of grating
seeds.

Martha Davis